A Flock of Shoes
One of my all time favorite books to read out loud is A Flock of Shoes by Sarah Tsiang. It is a beautifully written story that is so captivating and full of quirky surprises. The illustrations by Qin Leng are just delightful, creative, and highly entertaining.
Disclaimer: Please note that some of the links on this page are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I use all of the products listed and recommend them because they are companies I find helpful and trustworthy. Please let me know if you have any questions about any of the products listed here.
- While listening to this story kids really use their imaginations to visualize what is happening.
- Most of the time kids can relate to the main character loving her shoes so much.
- It is fun to have a discussion with the class after this story. They really like to talk about their own favorite shoes and why they like them so much.
- As an extension activity, I like to have kids draw their favorite shoes. Older students can write about the many reasons that they like their favorite shoes.
- This book works best as a read aloud for second grade.
The author has provided post-card templates for teachers to use as an extension activity. This looks like a really fun idea to try out and would be great printed double-sided on card stock. Here is a link to her site with the PDF files if you would like to download them and print them out.